Like Ms. Sherman, my creative process involves being alone, thinking, devising, mentally-sketching, tweaking, re-tweaking, re-thinking; sharing for feedback, and then re-tweaking some more. It’s emblematic of the contemporary, technology-enabled artist, in a way. Creative types have so many resources available: so many mediums to muck around in, so many visual sandboxes (like Adobe CSx–Photoshop, Illustrator, Premier); audio playgrounds (like Reaktor, Ableton, FL Studio) and platforms for interdisciplinary / cross-medium work (like Max/MSP, etc).
When I applied to art colleges, I was so disheartened by the rampant insistence that I choose a medium. I didn’t like the feeling of being forced to create within an established “language” (medium) that could be critically evaluated (by critics who specialized in media). Then I found California Institute of the Arts, was accepted, and played and played and played and finally found my voice. A voice that was me, and not limited to choice of media, but one that used media to express the ideas I wanted to introduce to the world.
And that, I feel, is true contemporary artistry. Knowing that the clay of the world is yours to play with and yours to enjoy.
So, following up on the previous idea I had, recruiting Phylum Sinter, Praveen, and I (er, as Quantazelle) to do a rotating remix using the online Monome / Tenori-On / APC-40 / Launchpad (ie matrix / grid-based sequencing, etc) flash clone, Nudge, I invited m50 to play with me. Nudge is a very simple sequencer with preset synths (harp, organ, fx, drum kit), and–as m50 discovered–the ability to create multiple patterns, meaning you’re not restricted to one 16 bar loop–one could actually make a song out of this lil flash app.
- Walking into your kitchen and having 8 people talk about MAX/Msp = Priceless. Thank you everyone who came out last night to Liz's Nerd Fest. 07:57:43, 2010-06-13
- I'm broadcasting my live Stickam stream at http://stickam.com/quantazel started: Sun, 14:55 PDT 15:55:35, 2010-06-13
- I'm broadcasting my live Stickam stream at http://stickam.com/quantazel started: Sun, 18:30 PDT 19:30:16, 2010-06-13
- I'm broadcasting my live Stickam stream at http://stickam.com/quantazel started: Sun, 21:01 PDT 22:01:48, 2010-06-13
- wow! epic live set http://youtu.be/pSzP1X7lTWE 07:50:18, 2010-06-14
- RT @percussionlab: Well that was quick. We're back. http://percussionlab.com 07:53:00, 2010-06-14
- Wow I feel bad for you legal types out there. The system is like anti-digital. I actually had to use a copier today. Retro! 15:16:04, 2010-06-15
- I heart rain! Wish it had thunder + lightening tho. That stuff rules. 15:49:22, 2010-06-15
- Whoah! Breaking Bad "Half Measures" was intense! Awesome show dot com. 16:29:24, 2010-06-15
- Blech! Dog is mad shedding…yay for Dysons! 18:18:40, 2010-06-15
- Know the facts about Dihydrogen Monoxide! http://bit.ly/IDxJL #lulz 13:39:51, 2010-06-16
- OMG just read the first sentence an try not to laugh and lose: http://bit.ly/aWZ8Dx #ihearthumans 14:03:48, 2010-06-16
- I have like 15 friends that do mastering but I really need help with mixing. I'm frustrated. Help? 15:42:16, 2010-06-16
- I don't think there's a polite way to say "so bored with yr whining & excuses" so I'm just gonna close these windows and go out and has fun 18:52:32, 2010-06-16
- Heard a commercial on the radio for Six Flags where a dude kept screaming "coke and rollercoasters" while on a rollercoaster. Hilarity. 22:03:40, 2010-06-17
- I'm at Berlin Nightclub (954 West Belmont Avenue, Scheffield, Chicago). http://4sq.com/520jnt 00:07:05, 2010-06-18
- LOL I asked for thunder and lightning and GOT IT. 🙂 15:25:36, 2010-06-18
- i ment "blissfully painful insanity" http://youtu.be/MdwueBQOQ5s 15:45:16, 2010-06-18
- RT @merrickb: Chicago Police Scanner is going nuts right now… http://bit.ly/nP1Zx #nerd < Yes, that's a nerd hashtag right there. 15:59:03, 2010-06-18